Friday, August 15, 2008

Here's the scoop on Friendly's


Ahhh...summertime in New England. They say we New Englanders eat more ice cream than anyone else in the country, and I believe it. We're always on the hunt for the best ice cream in town.

While I'm a big fan of buying from local ice cream shops, this summer I rediscovered an oldie but goodie: Friendly's Ice Cream in Exeter, N.H. It had been years since I'd stepped foot in Friendly's, but earlier this summer I happened to stop there with the kids and I was amazed at the price. We got three kiddie cones (they're more like a regular small because they had about a scoop and a half of ice cream) for about $3, including tax. I'm not joking. The kiddie cones are a buck! It's the best deal around, especially when you're buying for a family.

Now, don't get me wrong, there's still something special about the local shops. I still enjoy a cone from the Wright Place in Stratham (formerly Hodgie's), Memories in Kingston, and Jimmy Lee's, also in Kingston, but this summer, with ice cream prices on the rise, I can tell you that I've made more stops at Friendly's. And, unlike years ago when I visited Friendly's and it seemed more like Angry's because of the waitstaff, things have changed. The waitstaff at the Exeter Friendly's has been phenomenal. So, if you're passing by, swing in for some good old-fashioned ice cream at a good price.

No comments: