I swear, this mushroom is one for the record books.
I got a call this week from Tracey Rand in Fremont who told me that I should swing by her Fremont home to get a shot of the huge mushroom found in the Rands' backyard. She told me it was the biggest she'd ever seen. While I didn't doubt that it was big, I didn't think the thing was THAT big. Well, she was right. I stopped by Thursday night and couldn't believe what I was seeing. This massive puff mushroom measured about 20 inches in diameter! That's right, folks...20 inches!!!!!!! The thing is a monster. Unfortunately, they plucked it from the ground. Had they left it the thing probably would be continued to grow in all this damp weather.
In working on a story about the big mushroom find, I learned that some veterinarians are seeing an increase in the number of mushroom poisonings among dogs. With so many mushrooms sprouting, dogs are biting into them and getting sick. So, it's a good idea to make sure you keep your dog away from all mushrooms, unless you're an expert mushroom hunter and can tell the good ones from the bad ones. To me, they're all disgusting and creepy, so I'd never touch one. I don't even eat mushrooms from the store. I just think they're nasty things. The idea of eating fungus is pretty gross, I think.
Here's a link to my story if you want to read more about the monster mushroom.