Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Good-bye, Sophia

I couldn't believe it when I heard the news today. Estelle Getty, who played wise-cracking mother Sophia on the hit 80's sitcom "The Golden Girls," died today at the age of 84.

I have always been, and will continue to be, a fan of this show. I know, I know, I'm a guy and I probably shouldn't be watching the GG reruns, but I can't help it. The show was such a hoot, and Sophia was a classic character. I mean, how could you not get a charge out of her sarcasm. She had a zinger for just about everyone who appeared on the show.

Here's a link to one of my favorite scenes, where Sophia threatens to punch Mr. Pfeiffer, a man who sells caskets and whose name DOES NOT have a silent "P". It cracks me up every time.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SMxIMmJrms

Estelle will certainly be missed. Now, if Bea Arthur (she played Sophia's daughter, Dorothy) would stop appearing in those hideous PETA commercials that expose the use of horse urine in the prescription drug Premarin, I'd be golden.

No comments: